Established July 1, 2005, 2-1-1 Riverside County, a program of the Volunteer Center of Riverside County, has been the program for linking people to the services they need, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The 2-1-1 Riverside County Resource Database stores detailed information about community agencies and the services and programs they provide. Over 800 non-profit and governmental human service agencies with more than 2000 programs are listed in this database.
Community members can dial 2-1-1 toll-free, from any landline in Riverside County (and some wireless providers as well), when they have a need. On the other end a number of trained Information/Referral Specialists expertly match the caller's need with the best resources in the caller's area.
The goal is not to become a clone of 4-1-1, but rather to ascertain how best to help the caller receive what she/he needs. Sometimes in asking questions the Information/Referral Specialist can discover a need the caller had not identified initially and help meet it as well.
2-1-1 provides callers with information and referrals to health and human services for every day needs, and in times of crisis.
For example, 2-1-1 can offer access to the following types of services:
- Basic human needs resources including food, clothing and shelter
- Physical and mental health resources
- Drug and alcohol intervention and rehabilitation
- Employment support including job training and transportation assistance
- Support for senior citizens and people with disabilities
- Support for children, youth and families
- Childcare services
- Legal help
- Hospice Care
- Summer Camps and recreation programs
- Protective Services